PPE or Working at Height / Fall assist Equipment?
The equipment worn by a worker to minimize exposure to specific occupational hazards. Examples include Harnesses, lanyards fall arrest blocks and inertial reels.
When must the equipment be used?
This equipment is used to reduce or minimize the exposure to working at height hazard. A hazard cannot be eliminated by PPE, but the risk of injury can be reduced. For example, wearing a harness may not prevent you from falling but can reduce the outcome like death.
PPE should only be used:
- as an interim (short term) measure before controls are implemented;
- where technology is not available;
- where other controls are inadequate;
- during activities such as maintenance, clean up and repair where controls are not feasible or effective;
Selection of PPE
Choose PPE to match the hazard and the working environment
Obtain advice on proper selection if unsure. Holland Safety provide training in the use and certification of PPE equipment
- Workers should know how to perform regular inspection of their PPE.
- Workers should can identify potential problems or defects with their PPE during the pre-use inspection or while wearing/using.
- Inspect of PPE must be carried out before and after each use.
- PPE should be taken care of at all times.
- Clean all PPE after use.
- Store PPE in clean dry air – free from exposure to sunlight or contaminants.
- Users, supervisors and Health and Safety personnel must be trained in working at height, fall protection and fall protection.
- Users must have been trained in how to fit, wear, and maintain PPE.
PPE must be thoroughly inspected by a competent. Thoroughly inspections must be carried out in accordance to the manufactures instruction, legislative requirements and best practice. Holland Safety provide Working at Height and PPE inspectors courses.
Working at Height that we inspect and certify
- All Body Harness including, Single, Dual, Multi Point.
- Shock Absorbing Lanyards, non Energy Absorbing Lanyards (Work Restraint) and (webbing or rope)
- Climbing Rope
- Inertia Reels, Fall Arrest Blocks, Retractable Blocks
- Pulleys, Ascenders, Descenders, Rope Grabs
What’s involved in investigations
Cuts, Tears, Burns, Contamination, and Stitching
D Ring for:
Corrosion, Sharp Edges, Deformation
Plastic plate for:
Lanyard (Rope Webbing) for:
Cuts, Tears, Burns, Contamination, Joints in strands
Proper for function, Lock, Corrosion, Sharp Edges, Deformation.
UV Damage to Webbing
Manufactures equipment we inspect
- Singing Rock